Paleo for Kids | Pumpkin


posted by janet on , ,

No comments

I had one pumpkin sitting in my "store room" for almost a couple of weeks now. I am running out of ideas to cook for the kids and so I thought I had to make something out of pumpkin.

So I cut the top of it, scrape some of the flesh and thought it would be a good base for pumpkin and cauliflower soup.

 

Ingredients for Cauliflower and Pumpkin Soup in Pumpkin:

pumpkin flesh I scraped out from the pumpkin above.
cauliflower florets
homemade chicken broth

1. Steam the cauliflower florets and pumpkin flesh.
2. Let it cool.
3. Put them into the blender, add in chicken broth, blend until the desired soup consistency.
4. Put into the pumpkin shell.
5. Place inside the preheat oven at 375 F for 30 minutes.
6. Scoop out the soup and serve hot.



 Verdict: One taste and Samantha straight away said: It's one of my favorites, Mummy!

What to do with the rest of the pumpkin? I put in the fridge and made it the base for my next dish.

Minced Beef with Carrots and Spinach in Pumpkin!



Ingredients:

minced beef
a bunch of spinach
carrots, grated
garlic, crushed
onion, diced
virgin coconut oil
spices
sea salt

1. Sautee garlic and onion until light brown.
2. Add in the minced beef. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add in carrots and spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle some spices of your choice and add in sea salt to taste.
4. Scoop out and put into the pumpkin shell.
5. Place into the preheated oven at 375F for 30 minutes.
6. Serve hot.

Totally delish!


Since the pumpkin shell has been cooked thoroughly, I served the whole thing. The flesh of the pumpkin has a very delicious flavour in it, since I used it as a base for my cauliflower and pumpkin soup.