Kona Coffee


posted by Jan

No comments

Considered as one of the most expensive coffees in the world, Kona Coffee is grown in Kona, Hawaii. It's been told that Samuel Reverend Ruggles brought the coffee from Brazilian cuttings. The combination of sunny mornings, little wind and mild nights in a porous, mineral rich volcanic soil creates a distinct taste of Kona coffee. It is only called Kona when it's grown in Kona, Hawaii.


Because of the rarity and and high price of Kona, some retailers sell Kona Blends where Kona is combined with Colombian, Brazilian and other foreign coffees. They usually contain 10% Kona coffee and the rest is comprised of other cheap coffees.

My sister  Joy, who now lives in Hawaii,  sent me several packs of Kona Blend coffee from Royal Kona. It's 10% Kona blended with other type of coffee. But there's one pack of 100% Kona Coffee from Muldavi she sent. I haven't opened the 100% Kona coffee yet. I am reserving it for special occasion. :P

How to enjoy Kona coffee?

If you have a Kuerig (which I don't have, it would be great). You can even serve a K-Cup coffee.

The taste of Kona coffee is affected by the quality of water you use. So when the water has a high mineral content, don't use it. Use the bottled water instead. Kona coffee is best prepared using French Press (which is what I have been using).

I like my coffee latte so I use fresh milk when I prepare my coffee. Here's how I prepare it. Warm the milk in a microwave oven, use the milk frother until the milk has enough froths/bubbles. Pour it over freshly brewed  Kona coffee. I use 3 teaspoons of sugar for a mug of coffee. Mix it. And enjoy it. Best when the person you drink coffee with loves coffee as well. LOL. My husband is not a coffee drinker but he drinks coffee with me from time to time.